Written by: Miriam Hahn, Executive Contributor
Executive Contributors at Brainz Magazine are handpicked and invited to contribute because of their knowledge and valuable insight within their area of expertise.
Another year, another time to re-focus on health! My biggest tip for weight loss in the new year is to shift your thinking from weight loss to improving your health and preventing disease. Forget about counting calories and fad diets and start eating strictly to fuel your body with nutrients that make you feel vibrant, ward off disease, and make you glow! Strive to eat more plant-based and you will reap the rewards!
Once you have a new mindset, the weight comes off naturally and easily.
Start with these 6 tips:
1. Stop drinking empty calories! Commit to avoiding fancy Starbucks drinks, sodas, and limit alcohol to weekends. There is no benefit to the sugar, additives, and unhealthy ingredients that you are swishing down. Nutrient-dense liquids like fresh celery juice, turmeric ginger shots, green smoothies, fruit or veggie-infused water, herbal teas, and kombucha all give you a mega dose of vitamins and minerals.
2. Eat oatmeal with fresh fruit for breakfast. Buy organic, rolled oats and make a batch for the week so you have it ready to eat. Top it with plant-based milk and fresh fruit. Oats are full of essential minerals that help with weight loss, sleep, and mood. They help lower cholesterol and balance blood sugar. Plus, they are full of resistant starch to feed our good gut bacteria which in turn, speeds up our metabolism. Oats will keep you full all morning and set you in a healthy direction for the day.
3. Cook more at home. Shoot for dining out only two meals per week. Even if you are choosing healthy options at restaurants, there will always be more oil and salt than you would be using a home. Each week, make a list of what you will be making, get the ingredients, and stick to it. Double the recipes so you have leftovers. Find lots of healthy, delicious recipes ideas here
4. Stock your fridge with fresh produce for snacking Fall back in love with raw veggies and fresh fruit. Make home-made hummus to dip veggies in, buy non-dairy yogurt to have with fruit. Organize your fridge with glass containers so you can see what you have. Don’t leave snacking to chance. Every time you eat, including snacks, is a time to supply your body with disease – fighting nutrients.
5. Make a big pot of soup on Sunday. Soup is a great way to pack in lots of veggies for minimal calories. Heat up some for lunch, pair with a salad for dinner, or eat as a snack to hold you over. This one is especially delicious and beaming with nutrition!
6. Get moving every day! Even if it is just 10 minutes per day, do some form of exercise. Go for a walk, jump on a mini trampoline, ride a bike etc. Do something to get your heart rate going daily and do some form of strength training four days a week to increase your muscle mass. The more muscle you have the faster your metabolism will be!
Make 2022 the year you commit to new lifestyle habits focused on vibrant health and disease prevention! Now is the time!
For healthy recipe inspiration, visit my Instagram:
To purchase my meal prep courses where all the planning and menu selection has been done for you click here https://www.youcare-selfcare.com/online-courses
Miriam Hahn, Executive Contributor Brainz Magazine
Miriam Hahn is the owner of YouCare-SelfCare, a private wellness practice specializing in plant-based lifestyle and disease prevention. She is a certified wellness coach and a graduate of the Cornell University Plant-Based Nutrition Program.
Miriam has helped thousands of people live a vibrant life through her in-person and online wellness and cooking courses. She offers recipe development and food photography to brands as well as wellness workshops to organizations.