Yunlong Wang – The Founder of Vikcess Business Group is Creating Bridges Between Europe and China
Yunlong Wang, is apart from being the CEO & Founder of Vikcess Business Group, also a VC, Writer, and Startup Coach. His main focus is on how the innovation tech changes the business and our world. He devotes most of his time to innovation management, achievement transformation to adapt new markets, technology transfer to apply in a wide range of industries, and startups acceleration with the support of capital. He is playing the role of a bridge, as Vikcess does, which connects Europe and China, to pursuit communication, collaboration, opportunities, and the future.
Tell us more about yourself. What kind of person are you?
– I came from China 6 years ago. Before that, I studied and worked in Beijing (PPSUC, the Top 1 university for police education in China) for 10 years. Later I studied political science at Gothenburg University (European Studies program) and I started to run my own business when I move to Sweden.
– I am a person who is fundamentally optimistic in life and keep my passion for work. I am intensely curious about all creative things, innovative tech, crazy ideas, and persist it with no fear of failure. I enjoy social time and love to work with peoples who has different backgrounds and ideas. I am reading voraciously, constantly updating myself with the latest information, and I like sharing my experiences. I am keen on exercise and have participated in 7 Marathons already.
Try to describe yourself in 3 words only.
– It is hard to say, well… I think the words would be: perseverance, creative, ambitious.
What was your key driving force to become an entrepreneur?
– I want to create change.
– You know, “Entrepreneurship”, for me, is a symbol that gives you the possibility to work with your passion, but it also comes with responsibilities. You should work on it to create change, for your family, our society, environment, even the world, to make things better. That is the key meaning for me as an entrepreneur.
How did you come up with the idea and concept of your business?
– Well, I have been doing business in Europe for years, we understand the needs of different markets. Originally, we planned to do local incubators for startups with some VCs partners in both China and Europe. But in the process, we saw the infinite possibilities created by the largest market in the world, I mean China. Now both China and Europe are accelerating industrial upgrading, developing towards digitalization and intelligence. Simultaneously, the Internet Industry is wavering too, towards emerging technology that combines big data, cloud computing, and artificial intelligence... This trend will bring a new round of technological revolution and industrial cycle, also a trillion-scale market in the future. So, I decided to build a “bridge” between Europe and China to meet the demands from all directions.
– I got inspired and started Vikcess, aiming to serve the innovation, and assist the companies in Europe and China to explore more opportunities, to boost more potential connections and cooperation, and achieve win-win.
Considering the fierce competition in Today’s business world, how would you highlight your company’s competitive advantages? What makes it stand out from the crowd?
– We know China, very much.
"We devoted most of our time to try to establish the best sort of resources and networks in China – and we did it."
– In fact, we're a young business, but we're growing very fast. We have a solid foundation and a huge business network in China. At present, we are working with some of the top enterprises, business groups, capital groups in China, such as ZGC Information Valley (one of the largest Tech Community in the world, according to Forbes), Bluefocus (Top 1 marketing enterprise in Asia), K&WM (TOP 1 Legal Firm in China). Moreover, we and Nudge Technology and other 10 tech+capital companies set up CEICLC (“China-EU Innovation Capital Linkage Center”) in Shanghai this year. We collaborate with 13 VC and Fund firms in the EU, China, and Silicon Valley as partners, and have raised more than 3 Billion Euros to support startups in need of early phase or growth investment. We also work with 200 Billion Euro Industrial Funds with our partners, mostly are Enterprises Groups, Listed Companies, and Industrial Parks in China, to accelerate the business with the power of capital.
– We devoted most of our time to try to establish the best sort of resources and networks in China, and we did it.
How is your life in Sweden? Do you like it?
– I love Sweden where I can easily find my inner peace. Now Gothenburg is my second hometown. It has been rated as the Top 1 Sustainable City in the world for three years in a row since I moved there. I like the city, it is creative, international, and friendly. I love the food here, and the lovely people.
– Now I have my own family here, my wife Yang, she is a talented, brilliant data scientist. My son Dino and my little girl Qiqi. Also, my big guy, Kaisa, a strong Alaska malamute.
– I feel free to focus on my own things here.
Do you believe there is some sort of pattern or formula to becoming a successful entrepreneur?
– Not like a formula, I think there are key mindsets which the successful entrepreneur has.
– They have the courage to face the obstacles, loneliness and darkest moment. They have ruthless persistence, they have strong ambitions and never give up. They like challenges, they create the changes and capture the opportunities from risks. They focus on the things that really matters, and learn from the failures.
"You Can Never Cross The Ocean Unless You Have The Courage To Lose Sight Of The Shore” – Christopher Columbus.
I have many friends who are excellent entrepreneurs in their field, both in Europe and China. I admire them and learn from them. They are smart and they're working hard.
What keeps you motivated?
"Being a father is more difficult and meaningful than being a boss."
– My family. My wife supports me a lot from end to end, and motivate me all the time. Also, I want to be a good role model for my children.
– You know, being a father is more difficult and meaningful than being a boss.
Who would you say is your role model in entrepreneurship?
– For me, Elon Musk, the CEO of Tesla and SpaceX.
I remember he was once in an interview, and he was asked “What made you so audacious to invent the future”, and he replied: “I don’t really think of these things as audacious, they seem like natural things to do. Sort of long-term optimization, rather than a short-term one”. – From Tesla to launch rockets by Space X, it seems that Elon Musk is successfully realizing his crazy ideas. I admired his extraordinary personality characteristics as an entrepreneur.
Dream Big, never forget that!
What is your 5-10 year plan for the future of Vikcess?
– We hope to transform into an innovative technology service type company in the next 3 years. And we plan to found our own Innovation Base in Nordic, Spain and China in 5 years. If everything goes as expected, we are planning to go public in 8 years.
What piece of advice would you give to someone just starting out?
Take action, and move fast.
Don't be afraid of failure, making mistakes, and losing face.
If you were to write a book about yourself, what would you name it?
– That is a good question. I'm literally preparing to write a book, about my life and work from Beijing to Sweden. It includes stories about the culture of Scandinavia, the travel in the North, and also the startup experience.
About the name, “All the way north”, maybe.