Written by: Genieve Morison, Executive Contributor
Executive Contributors at Brainz Magazine are handpicked and invited to contribute because of their knowledge and valuable insight within their area of expertise.
For as long as I can remember I have been working to make sense of the world around me. And when I experienced the same pattern in my life for a tenth time, questioning “why does this keep happening?” I finally paused and allowed for inner reflection and like magic ‒ my outer experience began to make more sense. However, as I navigated new terrain, I quickly discovered that there is a distinct diﬀerence between awareness in reflection and awareness in real-time; and a greater understanding of this strengthens our ability to create healing and change in our lives.
Growing up I was in and out of therapy (what therapist wasn’t?) and I believe there was value in better understanding my experience, however, something distinct was missing. Not a lot of change was taking place in my reality. How I perceived myself, others and the world remained the same for many years to come. How I navigated daily life also remained the same. And how I navigated relationships and communication continued to cycle. The development of these important life skills and the implementation into daily life was missing in my journey. I may have been more aware of what was going on for me and healing past wounds in reflection with a therapist, however, I was still unaware of what was going on for me while I was experiencing it and thus no change took place.
I was hungry for more understanding and making sense of my world, so I spent years professionally educating myself to gain the missing puzzle pieces I was searching for. From my studies and experience, I have discovered there are valuable considerations in creating the healing and change you’re desiring.
1. There is great importance in setting the foundation and gaining a deeper understanding of who you are (mentally, emotionally, physically, behaviourally, etc). This foundation gives you a solid starting place for healing and change. This can be valuable with a professional or through self-development resources.
2. There is a diﬀerence in awareness in reflection and awareness in real-time and there is opportunity for change to take place when you are consciously aware of your experience as it is happening. Implementing the acquired life-skills to create the shift(s) you’re looking for.
3. There is value in understanding the “stages of change" and where you currently are in the cycle. This gives you the knowing of where to give your focus to first and the understanding of what is happening for you when you enter a diﬀerent phase.
4. A portion of this journey is learning how to take care of yourself and let go of neglecting your personal needs when they come up.
5. A huge part of healing, growth and change is discovering, believing in and building from your personal strengths and worthiness.
6. It is important to recognize that resistance is part of the journey and there is so much value in sitting with and working with the resistance that is showing up for you. Working to remain curious and let go of judgement, focusing on quieting the unwanted shame voice and listening to what wisdom resistance has for you.
7. Change is possible and life can be diﬀerent ‒ with the right support, tools and guidance around you.
Genieve Morison, Executive Contributor Brainz Magazine
Genieve Morison is a professional counsellor and holistic life coach from Canada. She is the founder and CEO of Empowered Living, established in 2017. Over her years of professional studies and working with clients, she has gained a clear understanding of the value in bringing coaching and counselling services together. Giving you the supportive space to deepen your understanding of who you are, heal past wounds and traumas, help you connect patterns with your present circumstances and work with you to strengthen your life skills, so you're able to experience the healing, growth and change you're longing for. Ultimately so you're able to navigate and live the life you desire with more ease. Empowered Living utilizes specialized coaching and counselling modalities and techniques. There is a foundation of CBT and person-centred therapy and a deepening into somatic therapy and narrative therapy, when valuable. And there is a great focus on implementation of what is gained in session into real-time, with the knowing that this is where change takes place.